Bus Driver - Trainee (Multiple Positions)
Colorado Springs, CO
Recruiting Start Date:07/01/2022
Estimated Start Date:08/15/2022
Drives a bus used in the service of a school or system; provides safe, efficient, courteous, customer-centered transportation to and from school and related activities; transports general education and/or special needs students to and from school and related activities
Incumbent must meet all requirements of local, state, and federal regulations for controlled substance testing including pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, and random drug and alcohol testing.
The Academy District 20 school bus driver is a part-time position where you are guaranteed 20 hours a week and will be eligible for medical, vision, dental and life insurance benefits. Academy District 20 school bus drivers are required to possess a Commercial Driver License (CDL) with a Passenger and School Bus endorsement.
Prior to starting as a school bus driver, you will apply and be hired as a temporary bus driver trainee. As a temporary bus driver trainee, you will be trained and tested to receive a CDL. You will be responsible for all fees associated with the CDL. Academy District 20 will cover the cost of your DOT physical. While training you will not be eligible for benefits and must be available for training five to eight hours a day Monday through Friday. Once you have completed your training (including successfully passing the test for your CDL and DOT physical), your position will be updated to a school bus driver.
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
- Reports consistently for work as scheduled
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
- Attends training and in-service meetings
- Completes pre-trip and post-trip inspections as required
- Consults supervisors and/or dispatch staff members on route modifications
- Ensures that all safety rules and regulations are followed
- Identifies and reports mechanical malfunctions to appropriate staff members
- Keeps current with applicable local, federal, and state regulations and laws governing the operation of school transportation vehicles
- Maintains accurate and up to date transportation paperwork
- Maintains cleanliness and orderly appearance of district vehicles, including washing vehicles on a regular basis
- Maneuvers and secures wheelchairs
- Performs simulated or actual emergency evacuations of all vehicle occupants
- Prepares accurate directions for each assigned route and includes specific map-based instructions
- Prepares work orders and reports/solves maintenance and mechanical problems before they become emergencies
- Safely secures students in safety vests, car seats, or seat belts
- Stays current with student behavioral management techniques
- Successfully completes road skills test, skills course, and written evaluations
- Supervises loading and unloading of buses
- Transports students, on scheduled school days established by the district, to and from the school and related activities safely and efficiently
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to drive and operate a school bus safely
- Ability to drive district vehicles in adverse weather or as needed to meet department requirements
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals from many diverse backgrounds and professions including supervisors, administrators, coworkers, staff, students, parents, and the general public
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to greet and interact with the public in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to manage simultaneous demands and set clear priorities
- Ability to provide a warm and caring attitude toward students
- Ability to recognize safety issues in the workplace
- Ability to supervise students on a daily basis
- Ability to understand special student needs
- Ability to work days, hours, locations, and assignments as directed by the supervisor within the position responsibilities
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision
- Commitment to the education of students as a primary responsibility
- Demonstrates citizenship, compassion, courage, discernment, excellence, honesty, hope, integrity, patience, perseverance, reliability, respect, responsibility, and trustworthiness
- Energetic, creative, innovative, flexible
- Excellent cooperative, collaborative, and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge and retention of district traffic patterns and the local road network
- Knowledge of district operations, rules, policies, procedures, and regulations
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
- The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
- The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the students, public, and/or other staff.
- The incumbent is required to work scheduled school/work hours and/or days.
- The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to all types of weather conditions, high noise levels, dust, fumes, and other elements associated with transportation duties.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to stressful or confrontational situations.
- Work is generally performed in a transportation vehicle.
Physical Demands: The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions
- Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
- Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
- Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
- Subject to hazardous conditions of ice and snow while performing transportation duties
- Lifts or carries burdens up to 50 lbs., and pushes and/or pulls other burdens weighing 100 lbs.; may have to lift students when required
- Has visual capacity enabling safe operation of tools and machinery
- Distinguishes depth and objects in a wide field of vision
- Spends the majority of time sitting and may stand and walk while performing duties
- Conducts activities involving climbing, stooping, kneeling/bending, crouching/squatting, twisting, and reaching
Cognitive Functions: The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:20
Hours per Day:
Hours will be split between mornings and afternoons.
Number of Days per Year:
Under Part-Time - Ineligible
FLSA Status:United States of America (Non-Exempt)
How to Apply:
New applicants (including current district staff members) must use the Workday application portal. Documents emailed directly to a supervisor will not be considered for application purposes and will not receive a response. A completed online application also includes the following uploaded documents in PDF format:
- A current resume
Please do not call to request site visits or interviews at the school/location. Please direct all inquiries via the email address indicated on the posting
Hiring Manager Email: