Bus Mechanic (Multiple Positions)
Colorado Springs, CO
Recruiting Start Date:10/27/2022
Estimated Start Date:11/10/2022
Performs scheduled and non-scheduled preventative maintenance services and repairs to district vehicles and equipment such as school buses, trucks, automobiles, and limited small equipment items; inspects, repairs, and maintains functional parts of mechanical equipment and machinery. This is a position where bus driving may be required.
Incumbent must meet all requirements of local, state, and federal regulations for controlled substance testing including pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, and random drug and alcohol testing.
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
- Reports consistently for work as scheduled
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
- Assists leadership with organizing, scheduling, coordinating, and overseeing various maintenance programs
- Attends training and in-service meetings
- Conducts annual bus inspections to ensure compliance with the Colorado Department of Education’s safety regulations
- Follows all safety rules and regulations
- Keeps current with Colorado Rules and Regulations Governing Operation of School Transportation Vehicles
- Maintains clean and efficient operating work area
- Meets the essential functions for Bus Driver when operating in that capacity
- Performs electrical repairs, pneumatic system repairs, hydraulic repairs, mechanical repairs, and fuel system repairs
- Performs preventative maintenance procedures
- Performs troubleshooting and diagnostic duties on all types of vehicles and heavy equipment
- Performs welding repairs as needed
- Possesses and maintains an acceptable driving record
- Prepares and enters records of work performed and parts used on all district equipment repaired
- Prepares work orders and reports/solves maintenance problems before they become emergencies
- Qualifies for district's Vehicle Operator License Insurance
- Reads and interprets service and parts manuals
- Recommends purchase of suitable supplies, tools, and equipment
- Repairs, cleans, lubricates, and stores maintenance tools and equipment
- Responds to all service breakdowns and work orders as required
- Responds to operator requests and/or researches appropriate solutions
- Stays current with Colorado Rules and Regulations Governing Operation of Vehicles
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information in various software systems
- Ability to analyze malfunctions in equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to drive and operate a school bus safely
- Ability to drive district vehicles in adverse weather or as needed to meet department requirements
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals from many diverse backgrounds and professions including supervisors, administrators, coworkers, staff, students, parents, and the general public
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to greet and interact with the public in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to input work orders on a computer and generate reports if needed
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to make minor/major repairs on mechanical equipment
- Ability to manage simultaneous demands and set clear priorities
- Ability to operate and care for mechanized equipment
- Ability to recognize safety issues in the workplace
- Ability to train others in procedures and the use of equipment
- Ability to use computer equipment and related software to support diagnostics
- Ability to work days, hours, locations, and assignments as directed by the supervisor within the position responsibilities
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision
- Commitment to the education of students as a primary responsibility
- Considerable knowledge of computer equipment and related software for diagnostics
- Demonstrates citizenship, compassion, courage, discernment, excellence, honesty, hope, integrity, patience, perseverance, reliability, respect, responsibility, and trustworthiness
- Energetic, creative, innovative, flexible
- Excellent cooperative, collaborative, and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of district operations, rules, policies, procedures, and regulations
- Knowledge of proper vehicle maintenance procedures
- Knowledge of repair and operations of machinery and equipment
- Knowledge of welding applications
- Organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Strong mathematical and calculation skills
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
- The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
- The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the students, public, and/or other staff.
- The incumbent is required to work scheduled school/work hours and/or days.
- The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
- Work is generally conducted in a garage/maintenance facility setting.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to fumes, electrical, and maintenance hazards associated with the working environment.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to the elements while performing duties.
- The incumbent may be called upon to perform duties in response to inclement weather.
Physical Demands: The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions
- Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
- Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
- Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
- Subject to hazardous conditions of ice and snow while performing transportation duties
- Lifts or carries burdens up to 50 lbs., and pushes and/or pulls other burdens weighing 100 lbs.; may have to lift students when required
- Has visual capacity enabling safe operation of tools and machinery
- Distinguishes depth and objects in a wide field of vision
- Spends the majority of time sitting and may stand and walk while performing duties
- Strength and flexibility: stands, climbs, stoops, kneels, bends, crouches, crawls, twists, reaches, sits, navigates on a creeper, and walks while performing duties
Cognitive Functions: The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Hours per Day:
Number of Days per Year:
Full-Time - Regular
FLSA Status:United States of America (Non-Exempt)
How to Apply:
New applicants (including current district staff members) must use the Workday application portal. Documents emailed directly to a supervisor will not be considered for application purposes and will not receive a response. A completed online application also includes the following uploaded documents in PDF format:
- A current resume
Please do not call to request site visits or interviews at the school/location. Please direct all inquiries via the email address indicated on the posting
Hiring Manager Email: