Custodian - Facilities Management
The mission of Academy District 20 is to educate every student in a safe and nurturing environment and to provide comprehensive, challenging curricular and extracurricular opportunities that meet the unique needs of every individual by expanding interests, enhancing abilities, and equipping every student with the knowledge, skills, and character essential to being a responsible citizen of our community, our nation, and the world.
Note: Candidates in this position will be assigned at needed locations throughout the district. If the current program/school should experience a change in custodial needs, the individual filling this position may be required to change locations to another school where needs are demonstrated. This could occur at any time during the school year. This position may also be assigned to a single location if/when roving duties are no longer required. An additional interview may be required at that time.
Responsible for cleaning the facilities, including trash removal, floor cleaning, general cleaning, and sanitizing; sets up for special events; develops and promotes good relations among staff and community
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
- Reports consistently for work as scheduled
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
- Assists in cafeteria and other areas during the workday assignment as directed
- Assists students and staff with items such as lockers, doors, desks, lights, etc. and performs minor repairs as needed
- Assists with safety drills, scenarios, and real-life situations as needed and directed
- Attends training and in-service meetings
- Cleans hazards, including bodily fluids, spills, etc. per best practices and current regulations
- Cleans, dusts, and straightens desks; cleans counters, toilets, sinks, whiteboards, cove bases, blinds, walls, furniture, vents, windows, mirrors, carpet, floors, and other items as needed and assigned
- Ensures facilities are safe and operational for students, staff, and the community
- Monitors water, electrical, sewer, HVAC, etc. and assists in emergency shut off as needed
- Moves, relocates, and transports materials, furniture, and equipment as needed and assigned
- Mows lawns and trims and edges around walks and structures as directed
- Performs any duties as assigned associated with building upkeep including painting, and other non-routine maintenance tasks
- Performs crossing guard duties as directed
- Processes and completes internal work requests
- Removes and disposes of trash in facilities and on grounds
- Removes snow and ice
- Reports minor and major building and facility-related discrepancies or areas of need
- Sanitizes rooms and facilities where applicable, including but not limited to restrooms, water fountains, gymnasiums, pools and locker rooms, etc.
- Sets up for regular and special events as directed
- Vacuums, shampoos, sweeps, strips, buffs, dusts, mops, etc. floors and stairs as needed
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about cleaning equipment, supplies, and chemicals
- Organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Some knowledge of custodial tasks of facilities, grounds, and equipment
- Demonstrates discernment, excellence, honesty, integrity, patience, perseverance, respect, responsibility, and trustworthiness
- Excellent cooperative, collaborative, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information in various software systems
- Ability to recognize safety issues in the workplace
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, staff, students, parents, and the general public
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to manage simultaneous demands
- Ability to operate and care for mechanized cleaning equipment
- Ability to operate standard custodial equipment, performing a wide range of custodial tasks
- Ability to work days, hours, locations, and assignments as directed by the supervisor within the position responsibilities
- Ability to work independently on assignments
- Ability to work well with individuals from many diverse backgrounds and professions, as well as the student body
- Applicants recommended for a position shall be subject to pre-employment/pre-duty drug testing and to reasonable suspicion, and random alcohol and drug testing.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Training in Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and blood-borne pathogens required within two months of hire
Additional Work Environment Information:
- Work is generally performed indoors and outdoors and on school/building grounds.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to dust, fumes, and chemical cleaners.
Additional Physical Demands Information:
- Lifts or carries burdens weighing up to 50 lbs., and pushes and/or pulls other burdens weighing 100 lbs.
- Conducts activities involving climbing, stooping, kneeling/bending, crouching/squatting, crawling, twisting, and reaching utilizing a ladder or a lift
- Works with hands above shoulder height with a weight up to 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
- The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
- The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the students, public, and/or other staff.
- The incumbent is required to work scheduled school/work hours and/or days.
- The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions.
- Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
- Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
- Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
New Applicants: Please note that if you are hired by District 20, fingerprinting is required. You will be responsible for the fingerprinting charge at the Colorado Springs Police Department as well as for the FBI charge.
All custodial positions require the ability to lift 50 pounds and to push/pull burdens up to 100 pounds.
All special education positions require the ability to safely lift 50 pounds each in a two person lift.
|Current District 20 Staff:|
|Current District 20 staff members should complete a transfer request form and return it to the Human Resources Office. The transfer request form and important transfer information can be found on the District 20 Intranet site: Click on 20Net Forms and Documents, click on 20Net Human Resources Documents, click on HR - Other Forms and Miscellaneous, and click on the document name HIRING - Transfer Request Form.|
|New applicants must register with the Academy District 20 Employment Opportunities site and complete an online application. Please identify your interest in specific positions on the Preferences page of the online application. Since school administrators will be able to access your completed online application, please do not call to request site visits or interviews at the school. Please direct all inquiries via the email address indicated on the posting.|
|If you are a new applicant and are invited to interview for a classified position, please consider bringing the following documentation to your interview:|