Location:Air Academy High School
Recruiting Start Date:12/15/2021
Estimated Start Date:12/28/2022Leads and utilizes custodial personnel to meet the needs of the facility, including trash removal, floor cleaning, general dusting and cleaning; sets up building for special events and for use by outside agencies or groups; develops and promotes good community relations among various community and school clientele; performs custodial activities to maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness, and efficiency throughout the building.
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
- Reports consistently for work as scheduled
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
- Assists in cafeteria and other areas during the workday assignment as directed
- Assists students and staff with items such as lockers, doors, desks, lights, etc. and performs minor repairs as needed
- Assists students with locker combinations and locker combination changes and performs minor locker repairs when requested at the middle and high school buildings
- Assists with safety drills, scenarios, and real-life situations as needed and directed
- Attends training and in-service meetings
- Cleans hazards, including bodily fluids, spills, etc. per best practices and current regulations
- Cleans, dusts, and straightens desks; cleans counters, toilets, sinks, whiteboards, cove bases, blinds, walls, furniture, vents, windows, mirrors, carpet, floors, and other items as needed and assigned
- Ensures facilities are safe and operational for students, staff, and the community
- Monitors water, electrical, sewer, HVAC, etc. and assists in emergency shut off as needed
- Moves, relocates, and transports materials, furniture, and equipment as needed and assigned
- Mows lawns and trims and edges around walks and structures as directed
- Performs any duties as assigned associated with building upkeep including painting, and other non-routine maintenance tasks
- Performs crossing guard duties as directed
- Performs duties associated with building upkeep, i.e., some painting, etc.
- Processes and completes internal work requests
- Promotes an efficient building by understanding and implementing sustainability management strategies as required
- Removes and disposes of trash in facilities and on grounds
- Removes snow and ice
- Reports minor and major building and facility-related discrepancies or areas of need
- Sanitizes rooms and facilities where applicable, including but not limited to restrooms, water fountains, gymnasiums, pools and locker rooms, etc.
- Sets up for regular and special events as directed
- Vacuums, shampoos, sweeps, strips, buffs, dusts, mops, etc. floors and stairs as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information in various software systems
- Ability to effectively manage up to five crew members
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, staff, students, parents, and the general public
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to manage simultaneous demands
- Ability to operate and care for mechanized cleaning equipment
- Ability to operate standard custodial equipment, performing a wide range of custodial tasks
- Ability to read/write/speak the English language and follow directions in English effectively
- Ability to recognize safety issues in the workplace
- Ability to work days, hours, locations, and assignments as directed by the supervisor within the position responsibilities
- Ability to work independently on assignments
- Ability to work well with individuals from many diverse backgrounds and professions, as well as the student body
- Demonstrates discernment, excellence, honesty, integrity, patience, perseverance, respect, responsibility, and trustworthiness
- Energetic, creative, innovative, flexible
- Excellent cooperative, collaborative, and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment, supplies, and chemicals
- Knowledge of cleaning, scheduling, cleaning techniques, and setup for events
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about cleaning equipment, supplies, and chemicals
- Organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Some knowledge of custodial tasks of facilities, grounds, and equipment
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Strong spelling, punctuation, and grammar skills
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
- The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
- The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the students, public, and/or other staff.
- The incumbent is required to work scheduled school/work hours and/or days.
- The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
- Work is performed indoors and outdoors and on school grounds.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to odors, dust, fumes, and chemical cleaners.
Physical Demands: The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions
- Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
- Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
- Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
- Lifts or carries burdens weighing up to 50 lbs., and pushes and/or pulls other burdens weighing 100 lbs.
- Conducts activities involving climbing, stooping, kneeling/bending, crouching/squatting, crawling, twisting, and reaching, utilizing a ladder or a lift
- Works with arms extended at shoulder height with a weight up to 50 lbs.
Cognitive Functions: The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Hours per Day:8.0 hour(s) per day
Number of Days per Year:260 days M-F
FLSA Status:United States of America (Non-Exempt)
How to Apply:
New applicants (including current district staff members) must use the Workday application portal. Documents emailed directly to a supervisor will not be considered for application purposes and will not receive a response. A completed online application also includes the following uploaded documents in PDF format:
- A current resume
Please do not call to request site visits or interviews at the school/location. Please direct all inquiries via the email address indicated on the posting
Hiring Manager Email: