School Security Officer for TCA
Location:EAC (Education and Administration Center)
Colorado Springs, CO
Recruiting Start Date:09/23/2022
Estimated Start Date:10/03/2022
Maintains safety and security of property, facilities, and personnel; assigned to a high school or middle school campus or to districtwide patrol duties; assigned to a school-year schedule or a year-round schedule; conducts vehicle and foot patrols of district campuses and other property to ensure safety and security of students, visitors, staff, buildings, and property; responds to alarms and other calls for security assistance; monitors district security systems and request appropriate response from other security officers, other district personnel, and/or public safety and police personnel as needed.
Incumbent must meet pre-employment drug and alcohol testing requirements; subject to random drug and alcohol testing, including reasonable suspicion.
Incumbent must complete a pre-employment psychological assessment.
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
- Reports consistently for work as scheduled
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
- Assesses danger and calls for backup or assistance if necessary
- Assists administrators with student disciplinary matters as requested
- Assists building administration, school safety and security personnel, and law enforcement with the investigation of criminal incidents or discipline code violations
- Assists in the coordination of action to be taken concerning threats of violence against students or district personnel, and assists in implementation of safety plan recommendations
- Assists responding police officers who are conducting investigations by contacting necessary district personnel, unlocking doors, turning off/on alarm systems, etc.
- Checks the security of premises and provides assistance to responding police officers and/or district personnel
- Completes necessary reports to document criminal events or discipline code violations
- Ensures student and staff safety
- Ensures students, staff, and visitors adhere to policies and regulations while on campus or at district sponsored events
- Follows all district policies and procedures
- Intervenes to halt or prevent fights, disturbances, or other incidents, and diffuses threatening or confrontational situations
- Investigates and documents criminal events on district owned property
- Issues verbal warnings, reports misconduct, and requests assistance from appropriate personnel as required
- Maintains familiarity with and enforces Student Conduct and Discipline Code and other school rules and regulations
- Makes notifications via telephone, radio, or written report of incidents requiring documentation
- Monitors alarm systems, camera systems, and other security devices
- Provides armed escort for funds transfers
- Provides armed patrol of district owned property to enforce laws and district regulations, detects and/or interdicts vandalism, theft, burglary, and other criminal activity
- Provides security and assistance for public meetings of the Board of Education, other district committees and activities at the Education and Administration Center, and at other locations
- Provides student supervision for athletics, activities, and other school/district-related functions
- Renders appropriate first aid to injured persons and follows established protocol for reporting injuries
- Responds to burglar, fire, or panic alarm activations
- Satisfactorily completes initial certification and annual re-certification training in law enforcement and security skills, including but not limited to legal updates, crisis intervention skills, physical control and arrest techniques, and firearms qualification
- Watches for disturbances, fights, unauthorized visitors, or criminal activity
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively manage conflict
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, administrators, departments, other agencies, and the general public
- Ability to greet and interact with the public in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to intervene in physical conflict and physically restrain persons to protect property or other persons
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to perform responsibilities without the necessity of close supervision
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to work cooperatively with supervisors, school staff and coworkers
- Ability to work independently
- Commitment to the education of students as a primary responsibility
- Demonstrates citizenship, compassion, courage, discernment, excellence, honesty, hope, integrity, patience, perseverance, reliability, respect, responsibility, and trustworthiness
- Demonstrates proficiency with firearms
- Demonstrates successful interpersonal interactions
- Knowledge of computers and alarm monitoring equipment
- Knowledge of working with students
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
- The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
- The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the students, public, and/or other staff.
- The incumbent is required to work scheduled school/work hours and/or days.
- The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
- Significant amount of driving required, sometimes in adverse weather conditions.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to dirt, dust, temperature extremes, and noise.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to adverse climate and weather conditions.
Physical Demands: The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions
- Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
- Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
- Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
- Lifts/pushes/pulls or carries burdens weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Conducts activities involving climbing, stooping, kneeling/bending, crouching/squatting, twisting, and reaching
- Exit and entry of vehicle, extensive walking
- Possibility of running; contact with violent youth and/or adults; physical intervention in assaults and/or fights, or physical restraint of students and/or adults; physical arrest of criminal violators
Cognitive Functions: The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Hours per Day:8.0 hour(s) per day
Number of Days per Year:182 day Security TCA
FLSA Status:United States of America (Non-Exempt)
How to Apply:
New applicants (including current district staff members) must use the Workday application portal. Documents emailed directly to a supervisor will not be considered for application purposes and will not receive a response. A completed online application also includes the following uploaded documents in PDF format:
- A current resume
Please do not call to request site visits or interviews at the school/location. Please direct all inquiries via the email address indicated on the posting
Hiring Manager Email: