Utility Worker - Facilities Management
The mission of Academy District 20 is to educate every student in a safe and nurturing environment and to provide comprehensive, challenging curricular and extracurricular opportunities that meet the unique needs of every individual by expanding interests, enhancing abilities, and equipping every student with the knowledge, skills, and character essential to being a responsible citizen of our community, our nation, and the world.
Performs duties associated with the maintenance and repair of building structures, associated systems, and equipment through proficient and knowledgeable skills in the areas of welding, locksmith, and equipment repairs; may provide a specialized area of expertise but also assists in all Facility-related areas
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and other key duties that may be required. The description may not include all functions performed by the incumbents in various locations. The district reserves the right to modify or change the duties or the essential functions of this job at any time.
- Reports consistently for work as scheduled
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attains proficient or higher evaluations on established Performance Standards
- Ensures that all safety rules and regulations are followed to the prescribed measures
- Maintains clean and efficient operating work area
- Maintains records and reports on inventory, equipment, and the status of current projects
- Performs duties associated with building repairs and remodeling including welding, locksmith, and equipment repairs
- Performs duties associated with locks, door mechanical work, and all aspects of keys
- Plans and performs minor maintenance repairs and inspections to facilities and their systems and reports major discrepancies
- Prepares and enters records of work performed and parts used on all district equipment repaired
- Prepares work orders and reports/solves maintenance problems before they become emergencies
- Provides assistance in resolving technical problems
- Reads and interprets service and parts manuals
- Responds to all service breakdowns and work orders as required
- Knowledge of and ability to analyze malfunctions in advanced locking systems
- Knowledge of laws, rules, regulations, and procedures related to district operations, as well as applicable city codes
- Knowledge of welding applications
- Demonstrates discernment, excellence, honesty, integrity, patience, perseverance, respect, responsibility, and trustworthiness
- Energetic, creative, innovative, flexible
- Excellent cooperative, collaborative, and problem-solving skills
- Organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Strong carpentry skills
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information in various software systems
- Ability to analyze malfunctions in equipment
- Ability to cut keys and perform door repairs including mechanical locking systems
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, staff, students, parents, and the general public
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to input work orders on a computer and generate reports if needed
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to make minor/major repairs on mechanical equipment
- Ability to manage simultaneous demands
- Ability to operate and care for mechanized equipment
- Ability to read/write/speak the English language and follow directions in English effectively
- Ability to recognize safety issues in the workplace
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of assigned staff
- Ability to train others in procedures and the use of equipment
- Ability to work days, hours, locations, and assignments as directed by the supervisor within the position responsibilities
- Ability to work independently on assignments without supervision
- Ability to work well with individuals from many diverse backgrounds and professions
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Colorado Driver’s License or be eligible at time of application
- Must meet pre-employment drug and alcohol testing requirements; subject to random drug and alcohol testing, including reasonable suspicion
Additional Work Environment Information:
- Work is performed in a variety of buildings throughout the district.
- The incumbent may experience exposure to odors, dust, poor ventilation, and other hazards associated with maintenance duties.
See general Work Environment details below.
Additional Physical Demands Information:
- Lifts or carries burdens weighing up to 50 lbs., and pushes and/or pulls other burdens weighing 100 lbs.
- Has visual capacity enabling safe operation of tools and machinery
- Conducts activities involving climbing, stooping, kneeling/bending, crouching/squatting, crawling, twisting, and reaching, utilizing a ladder and a lift.
- Works with arms and hands extended at shoulder height or higher with a weight up to 50 lbs.
See general Physical Demands details below.
Hours per Day:
Number of Days per Week:
Days of the Week:
Number of Days per Year:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff member typically encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive.
- The noise level in the work environment may alternate among quiet, moderate, and loud.
- The incumbent is frequently required to interact in person and through communication methods with the students, public, and/or other staff.
- The incumbent is required to work scheduled school/work hours and/or days.
- The incumbent may be required to work extended school/work hours and/or days as directed.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. All physical demands, if listed, are considered essential functions.
- Sits, stands, walks, stoops, kneels, and crouches/squats while performing duties
- Has oral and auditory capacity enabling interaction interpersonally and/or through communication devices
- Uses eyes, hands, and finger coordination enabling the use of equipment and writing utensils
The following are some of the cognitive functions commonly associated with this position. They are included for informational purposes and are not all-inclusive. The staff member may be required to analyze, communicate, compare, compile, compute, coordinate, copy, evaluate, instruct, negotiate, synthesize, reason, and use interpersonal skills.
New Applicants: Please note that if you are hired by District 20, fingerprinting is required. You will be responsible for the fingerprinting charge at the Colorado Springs Police Department as well as for the FBI charge.
All custodial positions require the ability to lift 50 pounds and to push/pull burdens up to 100 pounds.
All special education positions require the ability to safely lift 50 pounds each in a two person lift.
|Current District 20 Staff:|
|Current District 20 staff members should complete a transfer request form and return it to the Human Resources Office. The transfer request form and important transfer information can be found on the District 20 Intranet site: Click on 20Net Forms and Documents, click on 20Net Human Resources Documents, click on HR - Other Forms and Miscellaneous, and click on the document name HIRING - Transfer Request Form.|
|New applicants must register with the Academy District 20 Employment Opportunities site and complete an online application. Please identify your interest in specific positions on the Preferences page of the online application. Since school administrators will be able to access your completed online application, please do not call to request site visits or interviews at the school. Please direct all inquiries via the email address indicated on the posting.|
|If you are a new applicant and are invited to interview for a classified position, please consider bringing the following documentation to your interview:|